Even though we’re in the woodworking business, sometimes it’s hard to cut into some of our pieces. This bit of Burl Maple is one of those. Nicknamed “Take Me to Your Leader,” we knew this top was bound for something special.
Inspired by the rose bushes in Guy’s once-luscious garden (now trashed by his 15 month old Lab mix), the Sunset Rose is as versatile as it is gorgeous. The chambered Ash body is light and resonant. The neck is cut from a single piece of Indian Rosewood for a seamless, smooth feel and tight treble response. Lollar P90s with a Passive Treble/Bass tone circuit serve up rich, finely-tuned tones.
Why is this a B-Stock guitar? Two reasons:
First, the body blank is a 2nd that lost a fight with the router table. There is an epoxy fill at the rear end of the bass side of the body. It’s barely visible beneath the sparkle pink finish. Second, at the neck pocket there are spots of lacquer overspray that caused pockets of tiny bubbles in the lacquer. We didn’t catch this in time to fix. The last image on this page shows this. This is such a spectacular instrument that you’ll forget about them right away.
Of all the instruments that have come off our bench, this one is a sure favorite.
- Body Type: Chambered
- Orientation: Right-Handed
- Number of Strings: 6
- Body Material: Ash
- Top Material: Dyed Maple Burl
- Body Binding: Faux Binding on Dyed Top
- Finish: Nitrocellulose
- Color: Sunset Rose Burst with Sparkle Pink
- Scale Length: 25.5
- Neck Joint: Bolt-On
- Neck Material: One-Piece Indian Rosewood
- Neck Shape: Standard C
- Fingerboard Material:
- Fingerboard Radius: 9.5″
- Fingerboard Inlay: Pink Swirl Acrylic with Curly Maple
- Frets: 22
- Nut Material: TUSQ
- Nut Width: 1 11/16″
- Bridge: Hipshot Fixed Bridge, Gold
- Tuners: Hipshot Grip Lock, Gold
- Neck Pickup: Lollar P90
- Bridge Pickup: Lollar P90, Overwound
- Knobs: Rosewood Offcut with Maple
- Controls: 1x Volume, Treble Cut, Bass Cut
- Electronics: CTS pots, Switchcraft Output, Oak-Grigsby Blade Switch