Eddie Van Halen is known for infusing his iconic guitars with their own identity. With his visionary hands-on approach to personally modifying his style and tone, Eddie has created some of the most memorable guitars in rock ‘n’ roll history.
One of those guitars became as iconic to Van Halen’s sound as tapping was to Eddie’s playing. Aptly named the “Shark,” Eddie took his angular offset axe and sawed a chunk out of the body, leaving jagged edges in the wood that resembled teeth. After applying a coat of silver paint, Eddie added tape in his famed striped pattern and then grabbed a rattle can of burgundy Schwinn bicycle paint to finish the job. The final striped creation was initially seen live during the first Van Halen World Tour in 1978, but became more widely known and adored by fans after appearing on the back cover of Van Halen’s 1980 album, Women and Children First.
After years of receiving requests for this famed instrument, EVH® is proud to release the new Striped Series Shark model. This high-performance axe features an angular ash body that is paired with a rock-solid set maple neck, carved to a comfortable modified “C” profile. The neck also features a “hockey stick” headstock and the same striped paint job on the back, while the fast-playing 12”-16” compound radius Pau Ferro fingerboard has 22 jumbo frets and white dot inlays.
The Shark is also fitted with custom designed EVH Wolfgang® alnico 2 Humbucker bridge and neck pickups, delivering the ideal amount of power and articulation with sweet sustain and thick chunky rhythms in a perfectly balanced EQ curve. Adding to the unique style of this instrument, the bridge pickup features parchment bobbins with metal braid wire, while the neck pickup features black bobbins with metal braid wire. A low-friction volume knob with treble bleed provides for unmatched performance and even-volume tapering for the smoothest volume swells, while a chrome-plated solid-brass harmonica bridge provides massive attack, presence and sustain.
In addition to its instantly recognizable Burgundy with Silver Stripes paint job, the Shark boasts other eye-catching features including black numbered speed knobs, three-way toggle switch housed on a brass mounting plate, brass nut, gold and chrome custom EVH-stamped Gotoh® tuners and chrome eye hooks with turnbuckles.
QUARTERSAWN MAPLE SET-NECK
The quartersawn grain runs the length of the maple neck and as well as being visually appealing, creates a stronger piece of wood that is less susceptible to shrinking, warping or splitting. The set-neck design joins the neck to the body of the guitar with a tightly fitted mortise and tenon joint secured with a strong adhesive, which results in more sustain, warm tone and easy access to upper frets.
ASH SHARK BODY
The dramatic angular offset body of this axe had a chunk sawed out of the body, leaving jagged edges in the ash wood that resemble teeth. Aside from its unconventional style, the Shark’s ash body wood delivers a musical and well balanced tone, all while having that snappy bite.
24.75″ SCALE LENGTH
The Shark’s shorter 24.75” scale length generates less string tension for a looser feel.
UNIQUE EVH WOLFGANG SHARK HUMBUCKING PICKUPS
These custom-designed Alnico 2 EVH Wolfgang Shark humbucking pickups sear your lead playing with well-balanced, high-gain cadence, and produce deep rhythm tones while maintaining incredible sustain.
UNIQUE COSMETICS AND APPOINTMENTS
The Shark boasts several eye-catching features including parchment bobbins with metal braid wire on the bridge pickup, black bobbins with metal braid wire on the neck pickup, black numbered speed knobs, three-way toggle switch housed on a brass mounting plate, brass nut, gold and chrome custom EVH-stamped Gotoh® tuners and chrome eye hooks with turnbuckles. Also unique to the Shark guitar, the EVH chrome-plated solid-brass harmonica bridge yields massive sustain and highly articulate note attack.
- Model Number: 5107922505
- Series: Striped Series
- Color: Burgundy w/ Silver Stripes
- Style: 2 Humbucking
- Number of Strings: 6
- Orientation: Right-Hand
- Body Finish: Satin Urethane
- Body Shape: Shark
- Body Material: Ash
- Bridge Pickup: EVH® Wolfgang® Shark Humbucking
- Neck Pickup: EVH® Wolfgang® Shark Humbucking
- Pickup Color: Parchment on Bridge, Black on Neck
- Controls: Volume (500K EVH® Bourns® Low Friction Pot) with Treble Bleed Circuit, Tone (250K EVH® Bourns® High Friction Pot)
- Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
- Special Electronics: Shark pickups feature a metal braid mesh 2-conductor wire
- Pickup Configuration: HH
- Neck Material: Maple
- Neck Construction: Set-Neck with Graphite Reinforcement
- Neck Thickness: .790″ at 3rd Fret & .810″ at 12th Fret
- Neck Finish: Satin Color Matched
- Neck Shape: EVH® Modified “C” Backshape
- Scale Length: 24.75″ (629 mm)
- Fingerboard Radius: 12″-16″ Compound Radius (304.8 mm to 406.4 mm)
- Fingerboard Material: Pau Ferro
- Number of Frets: 22
- Fret Size: Jumbo
- Nut Material: Brass
- Nut Width: 1.6875″ (42.86 mm)
- Position Inlays: White Dot
- Truss Rod Nut: Truss Rod Adjustment at Nut
- Truss Rod Wrench: 5 mm Hex
- Headstock: EVH® Hockey Stick
- Bridge: EVH® Chrome-Plated Solid-Brass Harmonica
- Hardware Finish: Chrome/Gold/Aluminum/Brass
- Tuning Machines: EVH®-Branded Custom Gotoh® SG381 (Chrome & Gold)
- Control Knobs: Numbered Black Speed
- Switch Tip: Parchment
- Strings: Nickel Plated Steel (.009-.042 Gauges)
- Strap Buttons: Oversized
- Case/Gig Bag: Optional EVH® Shark Hardshell (p/n 022-7475-100)
- Included Accessories: Turnbuckles, 5 mm Hex & User Manual
Music Store Live is proud to be an authorized dealer for EVH. This Striped Series Shark is 100% brand new and is being sold with a full manufacturer’s warranty.
note: The photos above may not be of the exact guitar you’ll receive. The serial number may differ but specs will all be the same. Please feel free to get in touch with us for an in-hand description.
Our in-house guitar tech will inspect, test, set up, and clean all of our instruments on site prior to shipping. All of our instruments are guaranteed to be fully functional upon arrival.