About this guitar
The is a Limited Edition Memphis Custom Shop 1959 ES-335. Production was constrained to just 250 guitars in Antique Natural finish in 2009. 250 were manufactured in Antique Sunburst.
The guitar was purchased new from a Gibson certified dealer and became part of a private collection. It was rarely if ever played. Since acquiring this guitar in 2018 from that collection, I have kept it in a a smoke-free home studio. It has never been gigged.
The maple has aged beautifully, accenting the gorgeous wood grains on the top, back, and sides. The dark mahogany neck is a perfect compliment to the body. There are no scratches or dents penetrating the nitrocellulose finishing. There is no finish deterioration. Signs of normal wear include surface scuff marks on the pick guard, hairline scratches on the back near the strap button, and on the back of the neck.
This is a wonderful example of Gibson’s celebration of 50 years of production of the ES-335. In the catalog, Gibson said, “the limited production 1959 ES-335 Dot Reissue captures this desirable classic in greater detail than any “reissue” style guitar previously produced.”
About the photos and video
All photographs are original and taken on November 26, 2022. You will notice color variations with changes in lighting. Some were shot in my studio, and others shot on my garage workbench.
I have included a demonstration of the model-year produced by Greg’s Guitars to provide examples of the tones this guitar is able to produce. Keep in mind that I am a jazz guitarist so this example appeals to me. This is an ES-335, and it has proven to be more than capable in all styles – blues, rock, and country. As Larry Carlton likes to refer to it, the 335 is the Swiss Army knife of electric guitars. Please Note: that the guitar featured in the video is flamed maple. The guitar offered in this sale is not flamed.
Please send me a message and I’ll be happy to do my best to get back to you within 24 hours.
Here are the complete specs for the 1959 ES-335 Dot Reissue from Gibson Custom, taken from the 2009 Gibson Catalog (03.02.09)
Body & Hardware
- Plain laminated maple top, back and rims
- 16” (W) x 19” (L) x 1 5/8” (D)
- Single-ply cream binding on top and back
- Nickel Hardware
- ABR-1 bridge, lightweight aluminum stopbar tailpiece
Neck & Hardware
- One-piece mahogany neck with long tenon
- 22 fret rosewood fingerboard
- Pearloid dot inlays
- Single-ply cream binding with tortoiseshell side dots
- 1959 rounded neck profile
- 24 3/4” scale length 1 11/16” nut width
- Holly headstock veneer
- Vintage tulip tuners
Electronics & Strings
- ’57 Classic humbucking pickups
- CTS pots and bumble bee capacitors
- 2 volume, 2 tone, 3 way selector switch
- Thomastic Infeld Jazz Swing 111 .011 – .048 strings
- Custom Shop Re-issue Original Hardshell Case
- Certificate of Authenticity
- Professional Set-up by Portland Fretworks