As the title says, a Kramer 650G that has been through some pain, but is perfectly playable. So I’m a lefty, and these guitars are basically impossible to find left handed, but I’ve always wanted one, so when I saw this online a few years ago in rough shape but at a good price, I jumped on it.
So first, the good. The neck is in great shape: straight (these aluminum necks are great in that regard) and extremely comfortable with medium-low action (about 5/64″). All knobs and switches work without noise. And most importantly, it sounds incredible and unique, very deep, powerful, and 3 dimensional.
Aaaand the bad, which I’ve tried to capture in the photos:
- large gash on back of guitar. Looks bad, but seems pretty shallow. I’m guessing this was the result of a drop or some sort of heavy impact.
- small stress crack around the neck pocket
- region of finish damage on the front near the pickups with numerous small circles. I’m not sure what caused this.
- crack in front extending from base of neck, to in between the pickups, to the bridge. Again, seems fairly shallow. I’m unsure whether this was a side effect of what happened to the back or something else.
- neck pickup tone knob is a bit wobbly but works fine
- a few other small nicks here and there
- original pickup covers are missing
My overall assessment is that none of this is currently affecting the playability of the guitar, nor has any of it worsened in the 2-3 years that I’ve owned it. These things are built like tanks, and I suspect it could withstand much worse. I need to be very clear, however, that I am not particularly knowledgeable about guitar damage. I’m just a regular player who usually only buys guitars in excellent condition. So I have priced this at a significant discount, and I am also allowing returns for this particular guitar because I don’t have the knowledge to absolutely guarantee that the problems are purely cosmetic. I’m not trying to unload a lemon on anybody. I think this guitar is incredible, and I deeply wish it was left handed. If you’re looking for a beater that you can take on the road, this might be a perfect candidate. Will ship in hardshell case that is not the original but is a high quality replacement.