The Magic of an ES-335
Wildwoodians, the Gibson Custom Shop’s new series of ES-335 reissues are proof that good things come to those who wait! For the past year, we haven’t seen too many historic ES-335s because Gibson was in the process of transferring the production of year-specific ES-335s to the Custom Shop. But, don’t worry: the wizard-like luthiers at Gibson Custom weren’t just sitting on their hands in this downtime.
No, they were training, and it would behoove you to play the Rocky theme music in your head as you picture them performing the following tasks in a montage-style sequence: they studied the body contours and inlays of vintage ES-335s, scanned old neck profiles and learned to replicate them, pulled apart old pickups to find out what makes them sound so sweet, and listened intently to many vintage examples to sharpen their ears.
After this year of semi-hollow boot camp, they were ready. Once the sawdust settled, we were in awe of accurately they captured the mojo and vibe of the 335. These spectacular instruments are inspiring examples of Custom Shop craftsmanship, and we are honored to present them. We have no doubt they bring you years of musical inspiration and joy.
- Model: Historic 1961 ES-335 – VOS
- Finish Color: Sixties Cherry
- Finish Type: VOS Nitrocellulose Lacquer
- Weight: 7.69 lbs.
- Top Wood: 3-Ply Maple/Poplar/Maple
- Back & Sides Wood: 3-Ply Maple/Poplar/Maple
- Neck Wood: Solid Mahogany
- Neck Shape: Authentic Skinny ’61 Profile
- Neck Dimensions: .810 1st – .920 12th
- Fingerboard: Indian Rosewood with Hide Glue Fit
- Inlays: Pearloid Dots
- Scale Length: 24 3/4″
- Nut Material: Nylon
- Binding: 1-Ply Royalite
- Pickups: 2 Alnico III Custombuckers
- Controls: 2 Volume, 2 Tone, 3-Way Selector Switch, CTS 500K Audio Taper Potentiometers, Paper-in-Oil Capacitors
- Hardware: Nickel
- Bridge: ABR-1
- Tailpiece: Lightweight Aluminum Stopbar
- Tuners: Kluson Double-Ring Single-Line
- Case: Gibson Hardshell
- COA: Yes